Firstly, I would like to get to know who is reading this blog. I need to dig into Google Analytics and learn to use that information wisely. How do people find out about Sincerely Sara? How do I maximize those sources?
Secondly, I need to figure out why I don't have more of an audience. Sometimes I think it's because this blog is not specific enough; as you know, I blog about everything from our wedding to our house to running. Is that OK? There's people who there that like to read a variety of topics, right?
So with that in mind, this is my plan of action (and please chime in on any of these ideas):
1. Invest in a DSLR camera. I've wanted one forever anyway, and I know that good pictures - my own pictures - will automatically improve my blog. I LOVE seeing original pictures on blogs - that's what it's all about!
2. Post more often. I am always thinking about posting and not always posting; that's going to change. If there's a thought going through my mind, I'm going to tell you all about it! Good, bad?
3. Promote it. I use Twitter, but I guess a Facebook page would help. I have the widget now so I need to set one up anyway. Does that improve traffic? Anyone have one?
4. Invite family and friends. Basically everyone. For some reason, I've been sorta embarrassed of my blog. I haven't wanted to post the URL to Facebook or announce it to the Making Things Happen alumni group. I guess I think I'm/it's not good enough? That kind of thinking has got to end!
5. Fix the broken stuff. There's broken links and misspellings and all sorts of problems with this blog! I'm going to take the time to fix all of that, add more pages, and improve the pages I have.
6. Be a better blog reader. I know that a big part of receiving comments is giving them to others. My Google reader is so full of junk I don't read anymore. I want to clean it out and read the blogs I'm interested in, and comment on them!
I would also love to engage readers more. I want to host giveaways and make people feel like there's a reason to check my blog everyday... The point is not to be a big ole' success, but to hopefully begin a better dialogue with you guys. I'd love to surpass a handful of comments on a single post and don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have any comments (oh boy do I remember the days of blogging to the crickets!) but it's only natural to want to hear MORE from you.
So many of you have awesome, very popular blogs and I'm begging to know your advice on how to generate traffic on my blog.
How did you get followers? Comments?
How did you promote your blog?